Sunday 2 October 2016

The Singalong Society For Singles – Katey Lovell

The Singalong Society For Singles is a story about Monique (Mon) and her friends. Mon’s childhood sweetheart Justin, has just dropped the bombshell on her that he’s going to go and work in America for a year. It comes as a shock to Mon and her friends love lives aren’t going much better. So together they decide to start a club where every Friday they all meet up, eat food, drink wine and watch their favourite musicals. However, when 2 males unexpectedly join the club perhaps they can change the group’s opinions on being single. 
I love musicals and the idea of this club sounds so fun, so for me it was a complete effortless read that you just wanted to never end. I was pretty much sold on this book from the second I read which musicals were going to be included in the novel. I really enjoyed the way that the author writes and I’ll certainly be looking at reading some of her other novels. The story wasn’t just the story of Mon but instead weaved in multiple storylines but without it being too much and confusing. It fact every additional piece of important you gained about Mon and her friends just added to the enjoyment of the book. I’m also a tiny bit bias as this book is set in Sheffield so as I live very near I am well aware of all the places that the characters visit in the book.
The characters all brought slightly different elements to the book including new members Ray and Liam who just slotted in with the gang as if they’d always known the friends. I found all of the characters were enjoyable to read about and each one had their own mission and issues with life which are all slightly touched upon.
If you read the synopsis and like the sound of this novel then I can safely say you will love this book. I personally loved the addition of musicals and think it’s an interesting concept to loosely base a novel around. I loved the story, I loved the characters – this book is just a really great read.   
Synopsis –
Monique and Issy are teachers, housemates and lovers of musicals! Their Friday night routine consists of snacks, wine and the Frozen DVD. So when Monique’s boyfriend moves to America for a year and her sister Hope moves in because of her own relationship woes, Friday nights get a new name… ‘The Singalong Society for Singletons’!

It’s a chance to get together, sing along to their favourite tracks from the best-loved West End shows, and forget the worries of work, relationships and love (or lack of it). But when Issy shares the details of their little group further afield, they get some unexpected new members who might just change their opinions on singledom for good….

No comments:

Post a Comment